Sometimes the pain comes on like beauty
And the awen flows upward through
The shock of finding that I would be this
That I would sing,
That I would write
That most of all I would make art
I would make art
I would make art
The fear is overwhelming
The shame of not being who I was supposed to be
Snappy suit
Black heels
Leather briefcase
That my paternity and education were not enough
That I went deep, cocooned, and then the slough
Of old fat and skin. I emerged.
Honed like a blade I was.
I learned to take what I could when I could
My children eat rice and beans so that I can paint.
So many things to move through
Words and mirrors and blood.
I can only hope what is on the other side is worth it.
Thank you so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI know it can often be hard, sharing something that is personal, but at the same time it can be quite revelating as you read your creation for what it's worth within that experience, and it helps very much as it's a part of healing. Any creation is.
Your poem is very strong and at the same time powerful and very affirming especially at the end.
It seems like your experiences shine through, for who you are and I hope you recognise that.
Lovely photographs.
A very happy creative every day month.
You have a very beautiful blog here. :)
Great Poem,and your photos are so relaxing and pretty.Thank you for sharing this.
ReplyDelete