
This morning I was smelling the damp earth as a light mist fell on all of us. Parents and children lined up outside of the school waiting for my daughter's kindergarden to start. I was talking to another mother, just starting to show her pregnancy, still dealing with the nausea of her first trimester. I found out from her that Ailee's preschool teacher from last year is due any day now with her own new person. It made me think about my own experiences giving birth.
Of course, I did birth art, I photoshopped the sketch above that I drew while pregnant with my firstborn. (I've been into dandelions for a while now) I look at it now and I remember how naive I was. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. Then, one daugher and one miscarriage later, I painted this:
It is an image of the winter solstice. The frozen earth giving birth to the sun after the longest night. It was my way of talking about coming to terms with pain and fear and sadness. I'm not much for words most of the time. I tend to express myself with imagery and actions. Sometimes I think the more words there are, the less meaning there can be. So that's my birth story. Three lost pregnancies and two daughters later, I'm pretty content with it, because really, this is less a story about loss or achievement and more a story about love.

Hi,
ReplyDeleteI followed you over from my blog - thanks for visiting. I really like the birth pix. You are quite talented.
I am about 1/2 hour south of Lansing (just outside of Leslie) and would love to learn how to make blocks for prints.
Do you ever have an art day with grown-ups? I remember how difficult it was for me to fit anything extra into my days when I had little ones.
xoxo
Hi dandelionlady, thanks for visiting me.
ReplyDeleteYour birth story pictures are exquisite.
In agreement with these other ladies about your work - very powerful imagery. I like the winter solstice one because it's so subtle, but conveys what you talk about so well. I continue to love your stuff :)
ReplyDeleteYes, your Winter Solstice is very pertinent and effective, if I could produce Art like you do I'd never open my mouth except to eat!
ReplyDeleteI think that the misery of mis-carriage is totally underestimated by both Services (ie Doctors and nurses)and anyone who hasn't gone through it. I also think it is still something which women don't want to discuss. People say 'sorry to hear..' and they think its all done with, when in reality it can come and go and haunt you for years, even with the happy outcome of some pregnancies.
Anyhow, thank you for sharing, it was good.
I was thinking today of images as my way of communicating...I agree with you. Sometimes, I just do not write much on my blog, just put up the images.
ReplyDeleteThinking on your thoughtful works, here, reminds me of images I created as my body gets older: http://organicsyes.wordpress.com/2008/11/20/journey-on-being-a-woman/
Thanks for these works on your own blog...
Very powerful images and a story of triumphant. Great Work and thank you for sharing! :)
ReplyDelete