Pages

▼

Monday, May 24, 2010

New block prints

While I figure out the best way to transfer a sketch onto linoleum, I sketched a couple of designs directly onto a couple of blocks, and I'm carving away! The first is a matryoshka, I've been seeing them all over etsy and I'm totally in love, I thought I'd make my own. Turning the image so it was a 3/4 view was a bit of a challenge, and I think I still need to work on the flower belt, but all in all I like the design.

I love the gradient map function on photoshop. It turns grey linoleum into bright happy colors! The beetle is a tiny one, only an inch and a half by two inches. I'm looking forward to printing it in a pattern on fabric.

Lastly, I'm continuing to explore swan imagery, I wanted to bring in an Indian feel with the lotus shape behind. In Indian mythology, Brahma the god of knowledge and creator of the universe rides on a swan. The swan is seen as a symbol of transcendence and noble spirit.

3 comments:

  1. I love these! I especially love the swan ... a favorite image of mine (yet not translated into art yet!) And the matryoshka is priceless!

    I will have to experiment with gradient map function - isn't it amazing what photoshop can do? Thanks for all the inspiration on a slow moving monday morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sketches, esp the swan. The doll is also awesome and so intricate. I love lino block printing also, but am nowhere near as advanced as you are with the carving. Maybe someday...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are great!

    Thank you for your comment on my blog. I've answered your question there, but I can tell you here as well. 15cm/6 inches.

    ReplyDelete